|Population||28.9 million (2017)|
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions Facts|
|16 MtCO2e (1994)|
GDP annual growth: 6.7%
|Ratified Paris Agreement||
4 June 2018
Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC): Available here. (2018)
Mitigation component (based on officially submitted text):
A preliminary analysis estimates the total reduction of about 76,5 MtCO2e in the period from 2020 to 2030, with 23,0 MtCO2eqby 2024 and 53,4 MtCO2e from 2025 to 2030.
The implementation of any proposed reduction is conditional on the provision of financial, technological and capacity building from the international community.
Adaptation component (based on officially submitted text):
The National Climate Change adaptation and Mitigation Strategy (NCCAMS) identifies adaptation and the reduction of the climate risk as a national priority and presents eight strategic actions aimed at creating resilience and reducing the climate risk in the communities, ecosystems and national economy. The NCCAMS identifies also a set of key cross cutting actions including (i) institutional and legal reform, (ii) research and systematic observation and (iii) capacity building and technology transfer.
Available UNFCCC Reports
ICAT Project Details
Phase 1 of the ICAT project aimed to strengthen the institutional arrangements for national MRV processes, including design and implementation of legal frameworks through establishing data collection, reporting and verification methodologies and procedures within and between the relevant stakeholders.
Phase 2 of the project has now commenced.
Start of Phase 1:
ICAT Scoping Mission:
End of Phase 1:
Start of Phase 2:
End of Phase 2:
Ministério da Terra, Ambiente e Desenvolvimento Rural
UNEP DTU Partnership
ICAT Workplan and Deliverables
ICAT Phase 1 Workplan Outcomes and Deliverables:
The main outcome is an improved design of the national MRV system supported by sustainable institutional and legislative arrangements as well as reliable and accurate data collection.
The key deliverables were:
- Assessment of current institutional arrangements and identified barriers for a robust national MRV of climate change policies and actions;
- Implementation of ICAT Renewable Energy Guidance and recommendations on how to improve data collection and reporting for the sectors related to the renewable energy policy and how lessons learned can be transferred to other sectors
- Implementation of the ICAT Guidance on Sustainable Development on NAMA Charcoal and recommendations on how to improve monitoring and reporting for the sectors related to NAMA Charcoal and how lessons learned can be transferred to other sectors
- Recommendations for Mozambican policymakers for the establishment of a robust national MRV system for climate change policies and actions
Reports prepared under the ICAT Mozambique project:
ICAT Phase 2 Workplan Outcomes and Deliverables:
- Establishment of formal institutional arrangements for climate transparency activities
- Application of ICAT SD guidance
- Securing sustainable capacity-building efforts in the country through the development of a training programme (e.g. GACMO modelling tool)