The SINAMECC system, which is Costa Rica’s National Climate Change Metrics System (Sistema Nacional de Métrica de Cambio Climático, SINAMECC), was specifically designed to improve evidence-based decision making on climate action and policy.
The system was designed as open-source software with the explicit goal of sharing it with other countries and building an international community of practice. This “SINAMECC community” can then work together to maintain and improve the system, saving resources and improving South-South collaboration.
“SINAMECC helps to visualize better information about climate change. Governments can have much more clarity where emissions are being generated. Therefore, it will allow them to generate policies to reduce their emissions and implement them more effectively.”
Ana Lucia Mora Moya / Adviser / Directorate of Climate Change, Ministry of Environment, Costa Rica
SINAMECC continues to be under active development and continuous improvement. It currently incorporates initial versions of a variety of functionalities including:
- Data collection and management features which can be used to automate or semiautomate data gathering and pre-processing for GHG inventory/BUR/NC/BTR development and NDC and policy MRV;
- A calculation engine to estimate the GHG inventory, based on the IPCC guidelines and gathered data;
- A mitigation action registry to keep track of and follow up on specific targets, policies and projects and their emissions;
- Data visualizations and open data portal to facilitate transparency and data sharing, simplifying the reporting process;
- Systems management functionalities including user access and automatic notification administration.