ICAT Side Event at COP24: ICAT Country Experiences with the Development of Enhanced Transparency Frameworks
Date and Time: Tuesday, 4 December 2018; 18:30-20:00
The Paris Agreement marks a historic turning point in global climate action, committing all countries to contribute to limiting global temperature rise and adapting to changes already occurring, and to regularly increase efforts over time. The Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT) helps countries build effective measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems to assess the impacts of their climate policies and actions, and support greater transparency, effectiveness, ambition and trust in climate policies worldwide.
This event will:
- Inform participants of the opportunity that ICAT offers to them;
- Review how countries have used transparency and benefited from capacity-building support; and
- Discuss the needs of countries to better use transparency to raise the effectiveness of their policies.
Moderator: Ms. Surabi Menon (Senior Director, Advocacy & Research, ClimateWorks)
- Welcome and Introduction
- Mr. Norbert Gorissen (Deputy Director General, International Affairs, Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany)
- Senior representative (tbc) of the Ministry of Environment, Land and Sea Protection, Italy
- Ms. Katia Simeonova (Coordinator, Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI); and Manager, Transparency Framework Sub-Programme, Mitigation, Data and Analysis (MDA) programme, UNFCCC Secretariat)
- Mr. Henning Wuester (Director, Initiative for Climate Action Transparency)
- Country Panel:
- Ms. Luz Alcántara (Mitigation Expert, National Council for Climate Change and Clean Development Mechanism, Dominican Republic)
- Mr. Rajani Ranjan Rashmi (Distinguished Fellow, TERI; Former Special Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of India)
- Ms. Andrea Meza Murillo (Director, Climate Change Directorate, Ministry of Environment and Energy, Costa Rica)
- Mr. Dissabandara Sunimal Jayathunga (Director, Climate Change, Ministry of Mahaweli Development & Environment, Sri Lanka)
- Mr. Peter Omeny (Climate Change Directorate, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Kenya)
- Open Discussion
- Closing Remarks
Download a concept note for this event here.